Friday 30 November 2007

"Simply Love" by Mary Balogh



Simply Love by Mary Balogh 2006

Description from back of book:
"Anne Jewell is a teacher at Miss Martin's School for Girls, a genteel academy in Regency England. Now she must confront the disturbing tragedy that gave her a beautiful son but locked her heart away many years ago. While on a summer holiday in Wales, Anne meets Sydnam Butler, a taciturn hero of the Peninsula Wars. Gentle yet courageous, he is unlike any man Anne has ever encountered. But he too carries scars of the past. When Anne returns to St. Martin's, she makes a suprising discovery and has no choice but to test Sydnam's love. Their passion becomes a showdown between long-buried fears and grand dreams..."

This book is spectacular. I know that's a strange word to use for a book, but I can't help it. This book blew me away. Sydnam is the perfect hero - tortured, lonely and yet indescribably gentle, and put against Anne - who is equally damaged, their two hearts are constantly misunderstanding the other in the most tragic of ways. And yet, on a deeper level, there is understanding, and a need for each other that transcends the surface discomfort. This book is one of the most poignant books I have read in ages. It clenched at my heart and I found myself completely unable to put it down. Bravo!

RATING:

FAMILY-FRIENDLY RATING:

No comments: