Friday 21 December 2007

"Under the Mistletoe" by Mary Balogh



Under the Mistletoe by Mary Balogh 2007

Description from back of book:
"Dear Reader, Christmas has always been my favorite holiday, celebrating as it does all that is finest in the human experience - love, generosity, peace, and joy. I am delighted that this volume makes available again five of my novellas. They are love stories in which Christmas is shown to have the power to heal all the wounds of the human heart. "A Family Christmas" brings together a couple estranged since just after their arranged marriage the year before, and gives them the perfect chance to start over. "The Star of Bethlehem" features one betrothal ring lost but three that are mysteriously found as a broken marriage is abundantly mended. "The Best Gift" is the tale of a teacher who has never known family, love, or Christmas - then finds all three when asked to chaperon one of her pupils over the holiday. In "Playing House", a lonely aristocrat and his daughter are drawn to an impoverished young woman and her siblings, who are celebrating their last Christmas together with brave gaiety. An assortment of unhappy travelers stranded by bad weather at an inn on Christmas Eve encounter love after a young couple arrives to find that there is "No Room at the Inn" just as their child is about to be born. I hope you enjoy reading these stories as much as I did writing them. Happy Holidays! Mary Balogh."

This is a charming collection of short stories. My favorite two were "A Family Christmas" and "Playing House." While these are quite good stories, I must say that I prefer her longer novels, where she takes the time to truly go in depth with the relationship between the characters and make their love real to the reader. I think Mary Balogh's true strength lies in doing that, and I think it's obvious in these short stories. While they're enjoyable and worth reading, certainly, the love sometimes seems to pop out of nowhere because it seems she just doesn't have time to develop it properly in sixty pages. Still, I enjoyed this fun holiday collection.

RATING: 1/2

FAMILY-FRIENDLY RATING:

No comments: